Sony is a reputable company that has been around for many years. As such, their projectors are guaranteed to work seamlessly and for a long time. But like any device, the projectors need to be maintained after a given period.
One part that’s typically in need of regular maintenance is the lamp. It’s so critical that if it’s faulty, it renders the projector useless. It will randomly disrupt anything you’re projecting, be it a presentation, movie, or show.
Now, Sony projectors have built-in timers that tell you how close the lamp is to the end of its lifespan. You’ll often see a warning message through the indicator light colors. But after replacing the lamp, the timer needs to be reset to indicate the correct hours for the new bulb.
Read on as we discuss how to reset lamp hours on Sony projectors and how to check the hours remaining on your lamp.
How to reset lamp hours on Sony projectors
If your projector lamp has not been recently replaced, we would advise against resetting the hours. While it may seem like you’ll get to use your projector longer if you do so, in reality, the lifespan will remain the same.
In fact, you won’t know when the bulb is getting close to the end of its life. And as you would expect, burnout will catch you by surprise, which isn’t pretty.
Anyway, if you decide to replace the lamp yourself, make sure to get one that fits your projector from Sony or a third-party business with a good reputation. Be sure to also follow the instructions laid out in the manual.
Assuming you’re done with bulb replacement, here’s how to reset the lamp hours on your Sony projector:
- Plug the projector’s power cord into a power outlet and turn it on. Wait for the on/standby indicator to turn red.
- Go to ‘Menu’ by pressing that key on your remote or control panel
- Navigate to the ‘Reset’ option and press ‘Enter’ on your remote. You’ll now get options to reset the whole system or the lamp hours only
- Go to the lamp hours option and press ‘Enter’
- When a confirmation prompt appears, select ‘Yes’ and you’re done with the reset
Your lamp timer will now show zero hours for the new lamp. You’ll be able to monitor usage and replace it before it burns out.
See Also: Best 3D Glasses for Sony Projectors
How do I check my Sony projector lamp hours?
To check your Sony projector’s lamp hours, follow the steps below:
- If your projector is off, plug the power cord into a nearby outlet and turn it on. Wait until the standby or ‘on’ indicator light is red.
- Press the ‘Menu’ button on your remote or control panel to go to the settings
- Choose the ‘Info’ option and then select ‘Projector Info’. You’ll get a bunch of information including the lamp hours.
Keep in mind that the above steps are generalized and may defer based on the specific model you have. Be sure to read through your user manual to confirm anything you’re unsure of or better yet, contact Sony customer support. Any information you need is available on their official website.
A new lamp gives your Sony projector a new lease on life. Instead of disposing of it, you get to use it for many more years. But you need to monitor the lamp hours so that you’re aware when the new lamp is nearing the end of its life.
And for that, you have to reset the hours. Otherwise, you’ll keep getting erroneous warning messages because your projector will assume you’re still using the old lamp.
By following the steps in this article, you’ll be able to check the remaining hours on your bulb and reset it correctly after replacement.